Wednesday, March 23, 2016

From the Dugout: Memories of Team Benches

When a player hangs up his cleats for the last time, he tends to miss a lot about the about game. For me, it was the time I spent on the bench. Of course, I missed the perfect hit and run and batting practice was high on that list too, but whether it was the coming and going between innings or sitting with my pitcher when I caught, my shortstop when I played second, the bench was the center of it all.

Here’re a few of the memories that stick out the most:

  • My dad and I painted my high school dugout and our team bench when I was a sophomore. My coach and the booster club appreciated it and doing so gave me a little more ownership over the field that I played on and maintained for four years. Two years later, we painted the bench and dugout for my college ball club. My head coach appreciated that a whole lot less.
  • The bench is where we sat and learned the nuances of the game. It was the desk in our dugout classroom, our home bench having a familiarity to it that bordered on superstitious. Many of the lessons that had nothing to do with baseball and everything to do with living were given and received on the various benches I’ve sat on.
  • Living in Atlanta since before the Braves had much to offer, I watched the unbelievable pitching staff of Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, Greg Maddux, and others, grow and blossom under the care of master gardener Leo Mazzone. There is a vivid image implanted in my brain, one that I have seen countless times, Leo Mazzone rocking back and forth next to Bobby Cox on the Braves’ bench. The two were generally calm, cool, and collected, the real exception being Bobby Cox’s notable explosiveness, generally directed at umpires. But those four hip pockets held down the bench for decades, leading to a lot of quality baseball.

The bench is a place where memorable things happen. We know you can get attached, but if you’re ready to upgrade, give us a call at (800) 487 9798 or visit Baseballtips.com today to see your options. Let us help you start making memories today. Check out our blog post about How to Buy a Team Bench too!



from Baseball & Softball Tips – Training Aids & Baseball Field Equipment http://ift.tt/1Rh6gPo
via http://ift.tt/1njOY8n

No comments:

Post a Comment